Laws for Motorcycle Drivers and Teens
Motorcycle Laws in Florida (PDF)
Teens and Motorcycles (PDF)
Initial Registration and Renewals
Residents operating their motorcycles on Florida's roadways must register those vehicles in the State of Florida. Initial registration must be completed at one of our offices, renewals can be completed online or in one of our offices.
Transfer Of Ownership On A Florida Title
When seeking to transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Florida, you must bring the following to one of offices:
- The Florida title properly completed by the seller; and,
- A copy of the current registration to be transferred, if applicable.
- Also, each applicant must be present to sign the new application for title.
Title Application On A New Motorcycle
If a motorcycle (new or used) has been purchased from a Florida dealership, the dealer is required by law to process the Application for Title. If a new motorcycle was purchased from an out-of-state dealership, an Application for Title must be completed and submitted to one of our offices, along with the following items:
- A manufacturer's certificate of origin
- A bill of sale or invoice listing the purchase price, sales tax paid, and any trade-in allowance (please note additional sales tax may be due)
- A Federal odometer statement
- Any applicable lien holder information
- When transferring a tag or license plate, the current registration or plate and decal number
- Each applicant must sign the application.(If completing an application in our office, each person applying for ownership must be present to sign the title application.)
Title Application On An Out-Of-State Motorcycle
When seeking to register a motorcycle that was previously titled out-of-state, an Application for Certificate of Title must be completed and submitted to our office, along with the following items: .
- The out-of-state title certificate in your name or assigned to you;
- If your vehicle is financed, complete lienholder information including account number, lienholder name, and mailing address;
- A vehicle identification odometer verification form, which must be completed by a law enforcement officer, or a Florida notary, a Florida Division of Motor Vehicles compliance examiner, the U.S. Military Police, or a Florida licensed car dealer (Completing Section 7 of the Application For Certificate Of Title fulfills this requirement);
- When transferring a tag or license plate, the current registration or plate and decal number.
- Each applicant must sign the application. (If completing an application in our office, each person applying for ownership must be present to sign the title application.)
- Florida Use Tax may be due, if the vehicle was purchased less than 6 months prior to importing the vehicle to Florida. Proof of any sales tax paid to another state will be required.
- The full 6% Florida Use Tax and any applicable local option tax is due on all vehicles imported from foreign countries.