How to wash a king size duvet at home
Duvets and quilts are often the most neglected items of bedding. Well regularly wash our bed sheets, but can easily forget about the duvets inside or the quilts on top.Theres no ne
Duvets and quilts are often the most neglected items of bedding. Well regularly wash our bed sheets, but can easily forget about the duvets inside or the quilts on top.Theres no need to fret about washing such a large item or about cleaning a delicate quilt - this article is here to show you that the process for how to wash a duvet or quilt is a lot simpler than you may think.
Before attempting to wash a duvet or quilt at home, remember to check the item's care label and follow the suggested washing instructions. Many duvets and quilts will recommend taking the item to a professional dry cleaner, but it is possible to wash a duvet at home as long as you have a big enough washing machine and follow the care label instructions carefully.
How to wash a duvet with synthetic fillings at home
One of the most frequently asked questions is 'can you wash a duvet in a washing machine?' The answer: it depends. Duvets or quilts with synthetic fillings can usually be washed at home, but some domestic washing machines do not have a large enough capacity to allow the duvet or quilt to move around freely in the drum.
- If your item fits into your machine use a gentle cycle, with minimum agitation
- You can use a normal spin setting
- After washing a duvet or quilt, make sure you have completely dried and aired it before using it again
How to wash a feather or down duvet or quilt at home
It is important to check the care label of feather and down-filled duvets and quilts as you may not be able to machine wash your duvet but it may instead require dry-cleaning.
- If you can wash your duvet or quilt in a washing machine, wash it on a gentle cycle using a non-bio detergent
- After washing, make sure to completely air and dry your duvet or quilt before use
How to remove stains from duvets and quilts
- Stains on duvets should be mopped up as quickly as possible
- If the filling is feather or down, it is important to isolate the stain
- Shake the feathers away from the affected area, and then treat the stain according to what it is.Check out the stain removal section to solve your stain
Important points for washing quilts
Trimmings on quilts can affect how they are washed or which product is used. For example, if a quilt has embellishments or silk trimmings the care label may say Dry Clean Only even if the rest of the quilt is washable. Small stains on these can be treated by hand, but for a full clean take delicate quilts to a professional dry cleaner.
Washing duvets & quilts how often should I?
Although its important to clean duvets and quilts to ensure all of your bedding is fresh and clean, theres no need to wash them as regularly as your sheets. Washing duvets or quilts about once a year will suffice.Read more about how often to do laundry here.
Now you know how to wash quilts and duvets, theres no excuse for neglecting them any longer! And, dont forget about your pillows either!