How to remove someone from a deed in Florida

Home Florida Probate How to Remove a Deceased PersonHow To Remove A Deceased Persons Name From A Deed In Broward County And Throughout Florida.Removing the name of a deceased pers

How to remove someone from a deed in Florida

Home Florida Probate  How to Remove a Deceased Person

How To Remove A Deceased Persons Name From A Deed In Broward County And Throughout Florida.

Removing the name of a deceased person from a deed to real property is a commonly asked question. The reason why most people ask how to remove the deceaseds name is to clear title to the property (and to have the property tax bill issued in the name of the current owner).

Like most real estate and probate matters, there are several steps to this process. Additionally, when trying to clear title to real estate, several other legal issues need to be taken into account, including homestead issues, probate, creditor claims, interests of children, future interests and trusts and taxes, just to name a few.

Generally speaking, removing a deceased persons name from a deed requires recording in the public records three documents:

1. A certified copy of the deceased property owners Death Certificate. You can get this from the Florida Office of Vital Statistics. When requesting a Death Certificate, be sure to tell them that the cause of death cannot show on the certificate.

2. Tax forms from the State of Florida Department of Revenue (DOR). Some forms you may need are a DR-219 and a DR-312, which is called an Affidavit of No Florida Estate Tax Due. You can view and download these forms at the Florida Department of Revenue website.

3. If a married couple owns the property and one spouse is deceased, an Affidavit of Continuous Marriage. This Affidavit should specify the date of marriage and include the propertys legal description, which the couple jointly owned until the death of one spouse, as well as other pertinent information to clear title like was the decedent survived by minor children.

Generally speaking, this affidavit is not available in a form document because there are a variety of clauses that can and should be added to the document to remove any clouds on title.

Furthermore, a qualified professional should draft an Affidavit to make sure the Affidavit is signed by the appropriate party and in the presence of a notary. This document is signed under penalties of perjury, so be careful of the content that is included in the Affidavit.

What Other Documents Are Needed To Get The Property In The Name Of A Surviving Spouse Or The Parties Named In A Life Estate Deed?

Other documents may be needed like a non-identification affidavit which is used when a person with a similar name appears in the public records who may have judgments or other liens against them. Also, if the decedent died in Canada owning Florida real estate (or died in another country), then an affidavit will likely be needed to record the foreign Death Certificate in our public records.

(Please note, the fee for our office to perform the services listed above is $850.00, plus recording costs  recordings costs are normally less than $50.00  Obtaining a copy of a Death Certificate is not included in these fees and costs, which we recommend you do on your own.)

This article is only a general description of what you need to do to remove a deceased persons name from a deed. This process can be more complicated, and more expensive, than as described above. For example, there may be probate issues, including creditor claims, undue influence claims and the interests of heirs. We recommend you consult a real estate lawyer and/or probate lawyer for professional help and guidance.

You May Also Be Interested In:

  • Florida Probate
  • How To Look Up A Florida Deed
  • Anatomy of A Florida Real Estate Closing
  • Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Real Estate Closings
  • Duties of a Closing Agent
  • Real Estate Pre-Closing Checklist
  • 3 Common Forms of Ownership of Florida Real Estate
  • 3 Steps to Adding a Name to a Deed

Do You Have a Question?

Fill out the Talk With Us form above to ask a question or call us at 954-458-8655 We promise to get back to you promptly  Ask now.

Video liên quan